Talking about sex with your children is not always easy, but it is very important: here are 5 important tips.
Sexuality is a taboo subject for many Italian families, but following the Danish model could help many parents in a better dialogue with their children.
The Scandinavian countries, and Denmark in particular, are an important model to deal with in order to have a fulfilling and peaceful life. Specifically, we have a lot to learn about how they handle extremely sensitive issues such as sexuality with their children: in this regard “the Danish model” provides for a very open dialogue and discussion on sex and body starting when the children are four years old, as explained by psychologist Jessica Alexander. Would you like to have such an open relationship with your children? Here are 5 tips to follow:
- Don’t be afraid. Even if the subject is not the simplest, there is no need to get caught up in panic attacks or anxiety attacks. The important thing is to take courage and start talking about sexuality with your children as soon as possible. You will realize that once you have overcome your initial embarrassment, everything will become easier.
- Try to talk to your children. Make it clear to your children that when they need it, they will always find you ready to listen to them and confront you. It is important that you are intellectually honest with them, and that you are able to address even the most sensitive issues and make them feel comfortable.
- Teach them the happiness of the body. Our emotional and mental well-being also passes through the body, and it is important to take care of it and be able to listen to it. Teach your children as well, and try to be an example for them to imitate.
- Talk to them about technology (as soon as possible). By now, children have been dealing with PCs and smartphones since the early years of life, and may find themselves in front of images or videos that could affect their sensitivity. Make them understand that some images do not correspond to reality, but are retouched or manipulated: in this way they will not have a false view of sex and you will not damage their self-esteem.
- Seek the support of other parents. In addition to comparing with your children, compared with the parents of their friends could also prove very useful: together you could more easily find solutions to some problems that affect your children. It could be very useful to keep in touch by creating a Facebook or Whatsapp group.